What is External Wall Insulation?
The majority of old homes were built with just one single solid wall which inevitably means that a lot of heat is lost. This makes your home very energy inefficient and can cost you money on your energy bills.
Solid external walls are either unsuitable for cavity wall insulation (because the cavity is too small to fill or make a difference to insulation) or they have no cavity at all to insulate (i.e. true solid walls). These walls still require insulating to reduce heat loss, and our external wall insulation process provides the ideal solution.
External wall insulation involves fixing a layer of insulation material to the wall, then covering it with a reinforcement and a special type of render. The finish is usually a textured render, pebble-dash or sometimes a brick slip or a brick effect render finish could be used. These finishes can be used alone, or in a combination so that considerable variety in the appearance of the treated wall can be achieved.
During the construction of any project, the coordination of the trades is an integral part of the process, especially with respect to the mechanical and electrical trades.
Main Benefits of External Wall Insulation
The key benefits of External Wall Insulation are heat retention and reduced fuel costs but there are a host of other benefits:
- It can be applied without disruption to the household
- It does not reduce the floor area of your home
- Renews the appearance of outer walls
- Improves weatherproofing and sound resistance.
- Fills cracks and gaps in the brickwork, which will reduce draughts
- Increases the life of your walls by protecting the brickwork
- Reduces condensation on internal walls and can help prevent damp (but will not solve rising or penetration damp)
- Is best installed at the same time as external refurbishment work to reduce the cost
- May need planning permission – check with your local council
- Requires good access to the outer walls
- Is not recommended if the outer walls are structurally unsound and cannot be repaired.
What will it look like? What finish can I have?
The external wall insulation and rendering will make your home look like new. And as with a new house you get to choose from a wide range of smooth and textured finishes and colours. We install highly durable insulation suitable for the toughest weather conditions. All our work comes with a 25 year guarantee, provided by the Solid Wall Insulation Guarantee Agency to give you complete peace of mind. Below are some example finishes for a full brochure of all currently available finishes please contact us.